Have you been thinking of ways to share your writing with other? Well, we all know one of the most popular tools these days is social media. However, keeping a blog is an amazing tool which has been around far longer than Instagram and which has done wonders for many authors. Of course, you’ll need to know how to use it so you can actually feel the benefits of it. So… are you wondering why it might be worth having your own blog?
Here are some reasons why having a blog as an author is a great idea:
- ESTABLISH AUTHORITY.Â When you’re regularly writing about a specific topic you cultivate your online presence in a certain way. This can establish you as an expert in that particular area and or perhaps as an enthusiast with a unique point of view. Either way, writing a blog helps you to manage your professional image.
- PROMOTIONAL PLATFORM. Blogging more or less works a self-promotion tool which is essential if, for example, you’re writing a book. It allows you to do marketing yourself for free in a way that suits your personal writing style. Talk about your book any way you like, you’re beholden to no-one.
- ATTRACT AN AUDIENCE. One of the main advantages of blogging is that it can create a loyal following. When you’re writing a blog or even a book that you want to promote, you’re usually not doing it only for yourself. It’s a great way to attract new people every day, as well as develop a devoted readership, so make sure you maintain your website properly.Â Blogging works as a method for attracting an audience because it provides something of value to them before asking for anything in return.Â Maintain the interest of the readers you already have and you’ll be surprised how many more will soon join them!
- IMPROVE YOUR WRITING SKILLS.Â The more you write the better you get. Also, when you already have at least some kind of audience, you know you’re not just writing for yourself anymore. This means you have to take responsibility and respect your readers by providing them a proofread, well-edited and attractive piece of text. You want your readers to be impressed with every single post, thus you might want to cultivate your own personal style of writing, format your work carefully and think about the effect you want your writing to have on your audience. This is how blogging can really encourages you to pay closer attention to your writing and make sure you make the most of it.
- CREATE OPPORTUNITIES. When you post your blog entries, you make yourself visible. This allows other interesting and potentially important people to find your work and who knows what they might be able to offer you. In fact, sometimes bloggers even receive job offers from those who found them through their writing. Therefore, success might be hiding on any corner and blogging can help you attract it.
- PROFIT. This isn’t always the case but there are ways of making money through your blog. Of course, it also depends on what topic you’re writing about. However, the very fact that writing can lead to making extra income encourages many writers to start blogging. Maybe you already have a blog but want to improve it, why not research how you can use it to earn money? If you start to develop a large following, you may be able to write sponsored content, or direct your audience to buy your book. Here we should also mention that financial reward shouldn’t be your only motive, like everything else in life, passion for your work is what really makes you stand out and succeed.
If you’ve decided to start blogging but are struggling withÂ where to begin, this might help you:
- Find a blog domain you like, name and register it.
- Pick a blogging platform â such asÂ WordPress.
- Sign up for a blog hosting account â BluehostÂ could be an option.
- Pick a blogging WordPress theme.
- Install a set of must-have WordPress plugins for blogs.
- Customize your site and fine-tune the blog settings.
- Write and publish your first blog post.
After these steps there’s one more thing you have to promise yourself before you launch the blog: WRITE REGULARLY. It’s the most important thing to keep in mind if you want to achieve any of the potential benefits mentioned above. Give value to your readers and eventually you’ll be rewarded in one way or another.