Writing a diary might seem a bit of clichĂ© these days but actually it might help you more than you think. And don’t think it’s just for the teenage girls to hide their youthful secrets! Putting your thoughts and feelings on a paper can benefit you in many ways no matter what age you are. In fact, keeping a journal can actually help you become a better writer and boost your creativity.
Here are 6 ways how keeping a journal might help you:
- DEVELOPS CREATIVITY. One of the advantages of writing a diary is that you are not committed to write under any particular topic. Total freedom to write anything you want in any way you want and nobody will judge you for that. Thus, diary gives you an opportunity to express yourself through writing with no limits and this is exactly what you need in order to increase the level of your creativity. Besides, it doesn’t have to be only writing, since there’re no rules you can also use illustrations, stickers, basically everything you can think of. Obviously, being creative is necessary in order to become a good writer, so here’s your chance.
- TRACKS YOUR GROWTH. You can always open your previous texts and see how much progress you have done. It takes time with any activity and writing is no exception. So, keeping a track on your writing can help you understand how much and how fast you are improving. That’s important for any writer!
- IMPROVES THE WRITING SKILLS.Â How good you write depends on many factors and writing often is definitely one of those. It doesn’t matter if it’s not perfect, you’re writing only for your own eyes. Practicing is the key to success in any field, so the more you write, the better you write. Besides, you can always see how much you enhanced your writing skills by opening your older texts in the journal. This is why reasonÂ #2 is important.
- RECORDS YOUR IDEAS. The greatest ideas can come at any time so saving them in your journal might be of great use in the future. Sometimes the best ideas come when you’re not able to act on them, but this way you can always open your diary and find them when you need it the most. It can also work as, let’s say, an inspiration book, which is always there for you when you lack of creativity.
- HELPS TO RELAX. Sometimes life can be very intense, and we don’t always feel like talking to others. However, if we keep everything inside that’s gonna explode eventually and probably will do more harm than you would want to. So, writing might be a good way to find peace. Just get rid of that burden on your heart and write it down on a paper, you’d be surprised how relaxing it can be.
- COLLECTS MEMORIES. Isn’t it nice sometimes just to sit down, make a cup of coffee or tea and view your old photo albums? Those moments which passed and will never happen twice are saved in those pictures allowing you to relive them again and again. Truth is we’re not able to remembering every single and the great ones can be eventually forgotten. So why don’t give an eternity to the moments of your life using writing? This would also allow you to self-reflect so you can see what were your previous goals in life, what have you achieved and what dreams are still waiting to be made come true.
It’s just only a few reasons listed why you should consider having a diary. You can try ask yourself a few questions that might will help you to start:
- What did you learn today?
- What do you want to accomplish?
- What do you want to fix?
- How are you feeling?
Just remember, that once you start writing, you will feel its magic.
Don’t stop yourself from it and starting writing a diary!